... and many others.
It is sad to see the Natural Selection scene in Singapore falling apart after so many years. The question as to why it isn't properly resolved can be simply answered by the fact that there are a lot of different opinions in the scene.
I am going to consider these 3 factors as part of the downfall of NS in Singapore:
1) Lack of game ethics and respect for other players. Examples should be fairly obvious; advanced lifeforms in small games, veterans spraying newbies and all that.
2) Time. Unlike the sheer fan base of CS, NS has little players to begin with. What is more troublesome is the usual duties in life; school, exams, work, army. Most of the players in the past just had to be around these ages.
3) Poor quality of servers. This was not the case in the past because we HAD servers, but NO ONE to join. Now we have a SGNS server running in part of their plan to "promote Natural Selection" as a game to other players in Singapore. What I doubt is their ability to handle the players and their true motive for setting up a server in the Natural Selection scene.
I have a little more to elaborate on 3.
Background information on the last remaining server:
- Has heavy swear filters, which is ironical because even the word 'stupid' is censored, while offending ones like 'cunt' are not.
- Administrators pop up vote commands every once in a while. Some of these votes are not proportional to the player size. For example, the vote question reads "Do you want combat maps?" followed by 2 choices "Yes" and "No." Only ONE yes is needed from any player to have combat maps.
- Administrators are older than old, otherwise too young to even argue on equal terms. Most of them are also new players in the scene, thus knowing nothing about ethics.
- Administrators are too strict for the good of the server. Impartial to public opinion and firmly fixed on their own. Stubborn.
- The server practices monarchy as their form of governing players. It can be simply expressed by the line "If you don't like it here, you get out," except the "get out" part is issued as a command from an administrator, thus making it a server based on monarchy.
You can argue, from the way I typed out the background information on the server and heavily making reference to the administrators as being part of the problem, that it is filled with prejudice. Seeing is believing. You have to wait till you see it.
Server matters aside, Windows Live Messenger is a god-sent gift.
Why so? 1) It is sent by YJ, who is a Christian and 2) Messenger Plus works with it.
With Messenger Plus, I found out that quite a few of the people in my list deleted me off. Statistics, statistics:
By type:
2 NSPlayers
5 CSPlayers
10 Ex-classmate
2 Schoolmate
4 TSPlayers
1 Misc
2 SGPlayers
By gender:
20 Males
6 Females
Next, with Windows Messenger Live, I found out how many contacts I have blocked/deleted off. The number is... 57. Too much to sort into types and gender.
Ironically those that I always thought to have deleted me off have not yet done so. I love the people in this group.
"And all that I can grant you, as a eternal gift, is death."
Wednesday, January 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment