Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Too generous or can't be bothered?

After that incident with water dweller saying things he shouldn't, I've been thinking a lot about how it ended.

One of the major drawbacks of talking to people who are, well, like him, is that you eventually get tired of repeating points you've been trying to get across for the past hour or so, thus to keep things simple, I replied little.

Anyway, for those curious about how it ended, his last words were something like "just forget about it."

In what position was he given the right to say that?

I'm not criticising him by the way, but sometimes it's better to know the position you're in before you actually say something. That time round he was the one at fault, so telling the other guy to "forget about it" seems completely ridiculous to me.

Of course, he apologised, but that's about all one can, and should, do when they're well, rightfully wrong. If you have a need to explain yourself, do it, but keep other unrelated things off when doing so. Saying something that one shouldn't while apologising gives the idea that he already knows you're going to forgive him, which, well, defeats the purpose of apologising in the first place.

The reason why we apologise is to ask for forgiveness, not to expect the other party to forgive us. This, of course, would mean that I would then have the right to choose whether to forgive him or not.

In my case, I did, but he probably expected that, thus the unneeded comments at the end. That's what I don't like about people like him. It's somewhat an extreme case of an introvert.

It's hard to judge people really, but I do it in this case simply because I can and I know him well enough. Judge me as well, but know that I was simply too lazy to argue with illogical statements and well yeah I said it before.

Yeah, so, I thought I was being too generous back then, turns out I wasn't feeling hardworking enough to argue with him. We then had this heaty argument about mouse acceleration yesterday and he basically showed me that something "up to personal preference" means something bias to him.

No, dude, you weren't "probably being bias." You were bias. Now figure that out already.

ps. Naw not screwing up matters, just another self-reflection session. +1 to awareness.

No comments: